Take Time to Enjoy the Simple Pleasures

Anne - Turlock, California
Themes: gratitude

Has anyone ever stopped to take in the enticing aroma of the bakery on the corner? Or what about stopping to admire the different shades of pink present in each orchard of blooming almond trees? When is the last time anyone stopped to watch the sunset over the waves of the ocean? In today’s society, people are too caught up in the fast pace of life to stop and smell the roses. They do not want to take time out of their day to admire nature and all its finery.

I believe we need to stop and take in the simple pleasures that life offers us. My favorite thing to do in Modesto used to be to walk across the bridge that spanned the width of Ninth Street. However, as I grew older, I considered that simple delight to be childish, and stopped constantly begging my parents to pause whenever we crossed underneath. This past Valentine’s Day, I threw my mature attitude into the wind, and decided to cross the bridge. I had so much fun while fulfilling this long time wish that I decided to pursue my childish desires once again.

I believe that all those who consider themselves to be too mature to follow their childlike thoughts are missing out on the simple desires and pleasures that life has to offer. They can also benefit mentally from throwing their maturity into the wind. When people decide to play like little children again, their anxieties and worries disappear for the time being.

I find that whenever I try to live a fast paced lifestyle, I am not happy as often as when I give into my childish desires. These desires help me to relax and admire all of the beauty that surrounds me. More often than not, I am too focused on what needs to be done, and do not give myself the breaks I need. How many people actually know that almond blossoms are three different shades of pink? How many know a sun setting on the ocean will last for about ten minutes? These are all activities that enrich a person’s life.

Simple pleasures fill the world and surround people on a daily basis. Some can even be as simple as stopping to look at a field full of bright yellow sunflowers. This simple action can brighten up the day of a depressed person and help them to understand the meaning of life once again. Since when has playing on a playground been considered a childish pastime? What is the world coming to if children older than thirteen are looked down upon whenever they begin to play as adolescents again?

I love stopping to look at a beautiful sunset on the beach. My goal is to visit every park in every city. I feel the bridge over Ninth Street calling my name this very second. I will give into my inner thoughts and live as a child once again for the time being.

This I believe.