Cookie Dough and Consciousness

Carly - Tacoma, Washington

What I didn’t fully realize until I was older is how representative foods can be of people. I’ve always grown up with food as a large part of my life. Whether it was the food that I eat in my day to day life or the food that I have baked since I was a toddler pulling on my mother’s shirt asking if I could lick the beaters.

I remember those days of eating raw cookie dough until it felt like I was gonna burst with its rich chocolaty flavor. Trying to spoon that perfect blob of cookie dough to make the round chewy, gooey centered cookie that everyone loves no matter how young or old you may be or trying to scrape the sides of the bowl without getting the spatula stuck in the beaters like I’m still famous for doing. My mom would stand at my side wearing a t-shirt on the grubbier side and some old worn jeans, a huge smile on her face that feels as though it appear only for you and you alone. She would stand back and let me do the work I was deemed old enough to handle, making me feel as though I was the head chef and she was my assistant waiting on my next order.

It never occurred to me that food could have such huge impact in my future. From those days on I was in love with baking, from Apple Strudel to Zucchini bread. But it took an in depth look into cooking to make me realize how reflective food can be of a person. Some people say that the eyes are the window to the soul, for me I’d say it’s food. When I look into a crowd I can see millions of delectable desserts in place of people. From the cold icy mint cupcakes that tormented you in high school to the warm Pumpkin muffins that make you feel all warm and happy inside just knowing they’re there. I’ve learned that people have been found to eat certain foods based on how they are feeling. Some people are prone to eating chips when they are angry as a representation of violence. People will eat cake and other filling foods when they are lonely to fill up the empty space that you feel inside. I believe that these foods can tell your story and give insight into who you are as a person. Some many call me crazy for thinking this way others may just choose to ignore it all together, but I like to look at it as a new way to look at life and the people you encounter in it. So next time you pick up your favorite foods from the store, stop and take a second to ask yourself “What does this say about me?” As Anthelme Brillat-Savarin said “Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are.”