Unconditional Love

Joshua - Aubrey, Texas

I believe in unconditional love.

During my adolescents, I often found myself confused because of the ultra interconnected world that we live in. My brain was constantly receiving a never ending barrage of counsel and advice. Due to the media, internet, and conflicting opinions of men, I often found myself questioning who I was. By doing so I was continually trying to discern what was right and what was wrong. As a teenager trying to form my own identity, I became very susceptible to peer pressure.

When I was a sophomore in high school a popular classmate of mine invited me to hang out with him and some friends on a Friday night. Despite his reputation as a wild child, I excepted his invitation. He picked me up from my house at about seven o-clock and we headed to his girlfriend’s house. When we first arrived, I felt completely out of my element. The house smelled like alcohol. The smoke from the cigarettes and marijuana clouded the room, causing my eyes to burn. The music was so loud that my eardrums were crying for help. Everyone was dancing provocatively and acting foolishly drunk. After observing the environment of the party, I was ready to head back home.

As I turned to go outside and call my mom, a gorgeous girl stopped me and asked me if I would like a Bud Light. At that moment it seemed as if all the eyes in the room were staring at me, waiting for me to make a decision. I had gotten myself into a predicament. I could either drink the beer and be socially accepted, or I could tell her that I didn’t drink alcohol. If I drank the beer, I would disappoint my parents, but if I didn‘t drink it, this beautiful girl and everyone else in this room would label me as a loser. Even though in my heart I knew I should reject her offer, I gave in to peer pressure.

Later that night I sat down with my parents and told them what I had done. Looking at me with disappointment in their eyes they responded by saying “Josh, we are not proud of the decision that you made tonight, but we understand the pressure that a teenager faces to be socially accepted. We all make mistakes, and no matter how many mistakes you make we will always love and support you.” I was shocked! They didn’t ground me or yell at me. They just told me that they loved me and I knew they really did.

Through this experience I came to realize that my parent’s opinions meant more to me than the opinions of all the people in this world. I never again wanted to disappoint them. It’s because of their unconditional love for me that I have adopted their honorable and righteous moral character and come to know who I am.