America called me last night

Avner - Marina, California

I guess you heard it too; after all, we go to the same parties and know many of the same people. After a casual conversation about the presidential primaries, somebody will declare:

I really like Hillary- I just don’t think America is ready for a women president. Replace the name Hillary with Barrack and the noun woman with Black… and you get the message.

In 1999 when Al Gore picked senator Joseph Lieberman as his running mate, making him the first Jew to be on a presidential ticket of a major party- I heard many of my Jewish friends saying- America is not ready for a Jewish vice president.

My friends, I am a bit tired of this rhetoric- from now on I will challenge people to use the I statement. Don’t blame it on America anymore, talk about yourself as you articulate:

I really like Obama, Hillary and Joe Lieberman, I am just a racist, chauvinist or anti- Semite and think I am not ready for a black, women or Jewish president, regardless of what America think.

For who is this America that we tend to blame all of OUR prejudice on? America, my friends, is you and me, if we are ready then America is ready too, if we are not, we need to start working on our own bias and hate and not blaming her for our defaults.

America has been ready for thousands of years to eradicate hate, racism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, xenophobia… it is us people, Americans, who were, how should we put it, a bit slow to respond.

Next time someone tells me that America is not ready for something- I will say…that’s so funny that you say that…cuz she (America that is) called me last night, like she does every night lately… and insisted that she (America) is very ready- ARE YOU?!