My Plea for Help

Steven - Irvine, California

I believe in the power of prayer. It’s the food that nourishes my body and soul. It’s the compass that guides my life. I would die without it.

Three year ago, I came to the last chapter of my life. I was diagnosed with several severe anxiety disorders. After struggling through medications, nothing seemed to work. My confused doctor decided to have me get blood tests, in case there was another cause for my suffering. The next day when I was sitting outside, enjoying the warmth of the summer sun, I received a phone call from my doctor. He had the results from my tests: I had liver failure.

At that very moment, all the light in my life had been sucked away, replaced by a never-ending darkness. How could this have happened to me? I have always been a healthy person. I haven’t done anything to bring this on. I thought there was absolutely no possible way I could live through this. My life was over.

As months went by, my faith in medicine started to fail. I had tried several medications and procedures but nothing helped. I was also seeing several doctors, and they were more than willing to try anything to improve my desperate conditions. They were frustrated not only at the medications, but at my body for not responding. I felt like I was no longer a human being to them. I had turned into a medical experiment that had no chance of turning out positive.

That night, as I looked in the mirror and stared at my depressing body, I decided that I couldn’t completely rely on the knowledge of doctors, or on the miracle of medications. I had to plea and beg to a higher source for help.

I got on my knees, and through my drowning tears, I said a prayer and begged God to help me. “Heavenly Father,” I softly cried. “I can’t handle life anymore. I give up. Please end my life now, or please, please help me get better. Help me become a healthy person again. My life is now your hands.” Nothing immediately happened following this prayer, but I continued my desperate prayers for help.

A week later, a miracle happened. I went in for my usual depressing doctor appointment. My doctor wanted me to try some different types of medications. He had a strong feeling that I should try these. A couple of weeks later, my anxiety disorders went into remission. This was a sign that my liver could be improving. My weekly liver tests showed that it was getting better. Within a few months my liver had completely healed.

I haven’t had trouble with my liver ever since this life-changing miracle. I know it was prayer that saved my life. I will never deny myself again of its power. I can’t survive without it.