These Are the Days

Amelia - Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Themes: carpe diem

“These are days. These are the days you might fill with laugher until you break. These days you might feel a shaft of light make its way across your face. And when you do then you’ll know how it was meant to be. See the signs and know their meaning. It’s true, then you’ll know how it was meant to be.” 10,000 Maniacs.

This song has been a guide in my life, and has changed my beliefs on how I should live. My Dad was the first person to introduce me to the 10,000 Maniacs, at an age where I couldn’t really appreciate their music, or know what was being said in it. In elementary school I was singing along to the song without truly knowing what I was singing, it was just a song that my Dad and I sang along to in the car. But, two years ago when I was introduced to the song again, its words made a deeper connection with me, and I started to truly understand what was being said.

It became clear to me that this song was about living life the way you want because “these are the days you’ll remember.” So I have taken that in with open arms, and I am trying to go through high school with no regrets. I want to have fun and enjoy high school as much as possible. I expect though, in my search for having fun, I will make mistakes. And I am ready and willing to accept that. I want to learn from my mistakes. I also hope to take this philosophy with me out of high school, I want to be able to go through life doing what I want and never regretting it and remembering that even if I make a mistake, it doesn’t matter, because what’s meant to happen will happen, and it’s inevitable.

I also learned that you and only you are the one that can make the decisions that will impact your life, and no-one else can or should be the one to change your plans. As the song says “you might fill with laughter,” your life should not become filled with happiness because of someone else. You should be the one to make your life enjoyable. This song reminds me, that if my life is not going the way I want, I can always change it. Because, after all it is my life, and I’m the one who is supposed to have control over it. It’s up to you how your life turns out, so live it how you want, and live it well.

This song has become the basis of my outlook on life: in which I believe, that you should be able to live life with no regrets and live without looking back and regretting what happened. Be happy and look forward. And, if you do so “You see in every hour you’ll know it’s true that you are blessed and lucky.”