A Mother’s Love

Skyler - Salem, Oregon
Themes: family, love

From elementary to high school I struggled to understand what was taught in class but, it seemed, my classmates didn’t. When I was nine I was diagnosed with ADHD, and I had a below average reading level. I attended a learning recourse center for help on my school work. I was so ashamed that I had to seek help and none of my friends did. I felt inadequate and foolish. My embarrassment was so bad that I didn’t participate in class, or turn in any of my homework. I tried to keep it a secret, but of course my mother found out. Instead of getting angry or upset with me she showed her love in only a way a mother could show it. For the rest of the year she came into school every morning and helped me learn how to read. I improved my reading by using Hooked on Phonics, strengthening my spelling, and practicing my handwriting. Some days went by smoothly, while others were rough. However, because of her undying devotion to her children, she continued to come each day to help. Before we would start each day we would read a passage of holy writ from the Book of Mormon,

“And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.” (Ether 12:27)

After reading this scripture my mom would tell me, “Skyler you will not always struggle with school. The Lord has given you this trail so you can become stronger, and rely on Him more.” The combination of this scripture and my mom’s assurance filled me with peace, and more confidence than I would with a hundred letters of recommendation. By the end of the fourth grade I read at a fourth grade reading level and I was caught up with my classmates. With hard work and determination I became a better student. Today I have an academic scholarship from BYU-Idaho and continue to do well in school.

I believe in the love of a mother. I believe that since God could not be here with me all the time He gave me my mother. She, with just a kiss and a hug, can ease my pain better than any doctor. No matter what her child does or doesn’t do, Mothers always love and care for them. Although she may not get much recognition, I believe that a mother has the most important job in the world–one that is irreplaceable and priceless. I believe that the love of a true mother comes nearer the love of God than any other kind of love. This I believe.