This, I Believe: Revolutionary Christianity

Ashley - Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Themes: Christianity

I believe that in Christianity, there are many more questions than answers. We are not meant to understand the whole truth, and if we were, God would have made it much plainer than it is. We have the Bible as a guide; it’s a guide to how we should live based on how others’ have lived before us. It isn’t just a bunch of fictional stories, but rather anecdotes showing us both others’ failings, as well as how wonderful things can be. It’s God’s gift to us to help us along our journey.

In God’s book, we may encounter many questions, several unanswered, but He does answer the most thrilling question, the one worth the most, and that’s how to have a relationship with him. This is salvation. Salvation is not a thing that can be attained by following a list of rules, of checking off certain things from a check sheet. It’s a relationship, and God shows us exactly how to find this: through His Son. This is the beautiful story; a story worth hearing, a story worth believing, and a story full of hope for the fallen man. This has to be where our religion is centered.

The pastor of the church I currently attend said something revolutionary a few Sundays ago. It would not, I believe, be questioned by God, but rather so many other people of the faith. He shared with us the idea that even though some people, both Christians and those who aren’t, only come to church twice a year, (Easter and Christmas,) we really need to make it our job to really minister to them on those days, because that is uplifting, and that is what people need to see in Christians, not this whole idea that if you don’t come to church 52 weeks a year, at least three times a week, you’re condemned. Who are we to do that anyway? When he said this, I was blown away! It’s something I really don’t think I’ve ever heard a pastor share before, which is quite saddening. When did church become more of a numbers game in regards to attendance instead of a numbers game, in regard to souls being saved, where people actually feel the need to have a relationship with Christ?

We as the Church in America really need to get more into God’s business, His plans, rather than our schemes and our selfish ideas of what the Christian walk is. Because that’s exactly what it is; it’s a walk. At one point or another, everyone will fall, (not one person excluded,) but God has placed us here to be His arms to help them back up again. Hey, sometime, we’ll need those arms, too. This I believe.