This I believe

Magda - South San Francisco, California

I Believe…

I believe that everyone should appreciate what they have. I believe to many people don’t know how lucky they are to have what they already do, because they always look at what better things others have and feel sorry for themselves. There are many people who don’t have much, not even food or a house. When those people get the smallest thing they are grateful for it, since before they didn’t have anything they know the value of things. Many people in countries like this one don’t know how to be thankful because they have everything they want or at least need to survive and they’ve never suffer just to survive unlike people in other parts of the world such as Africa, Asia and Latin America.

Because many people have not been through harsh conditions in their lives they are blind to knowing how worthy everything they have is. Especially the new generations, such as the teenagers now have no appreciation at all because they have always gotten what they want. It’s the mentally of a parent to give their child everything they didn’t have so when a child wants something they don’t really have to gain it they just ask and they get it. So how can they appreciate what they have if they don’t even have to make an effort in getting it? Kids are now taught by their parents that everything they want will always be there in front of them to reach for, therefore to a child not seeing the value in something is normal, but in reality everything has great value it’s just that kids can’t see that, if their parents show them that everything is easy to get and worthless.

Many times people see the value in things that are not necessary but just extra like expensive shoes or clothes, but they can’t see the how important things that seem small to them really are, like having something to eat everyday. There are many people in the world who have nothing, yet in this country many people throw away food because it’s too much or because they just don’t want it not really because the food has gone bad, while other unlucky people look for food in trash cans or anywhere they can find something to eat. People in countries like our country should learn how to appreciate the “simple” things in life that are there daily like a house, food, shoes or clothes whether they are expensive or not because at least most people around us aren’t dieing like in other parts of the world. People who have enough should help others who are suffering because if people don’t help each other there will always be suffering. People should stop feeling bad for themselves because there is always someone less fortunate than them. I believe that being alive is already a big thing to be grateful for, because there are many who don’t get to have that chance at all, so I believe everyone has something to be thankful for whether rich or poor.

Magda G