Kids Need Dads

Jonathan - Brandenburg, Kentucky

I believe that every home should have a father who loves both his wife and children. A father provides protection and a different type of loving that a mother can’t provide–gruff and whiskery, but kind. There is no substitute for a father at home. My mother is good at a lot of things, but throwing the ol’ pigskin around isn’t one of them. Also, my mother doesn’t quite get into playing WWE Smackdown like my dad.

My father serves in the Army and is often deployed to many different countries around the world: so I know what it is like to not have a father, at least for a little while. I believe that spending time with my father has been pivotal to my mental, physical, and spiritual growth. His example and influence have patterned for me how to be a man. On a lighter note, he has taught me the art of belching the abc’s, something my mother would never do in a million years.

My father is one of the most important individuals in my life. Without him I probably would not be the person I am today. He helps me see the positive side of issues. We often have to move, due to the fact that my father is an Army Chaplain on active duty. I have vehemently told my parents my opinion and views on moving–I hate change. Whenever a move takes place my father always says, “Jonathan, no matter what happens or where we move, God has something in store for us.” As much as I hate to admit it, he’s always right. Each new move brings different experiences into my life and opens up diverse opportunities for me. Moving is hard, but having a father around makes it easier to bear.

I realize that not all children are lucky enough to have a father in their lives. I wish every child could have a father like mine. My father often says that we must do things that we do not necessarily want to do, but it has to be done. He has had to serve in a war zone often and never likes to leave the family, but always fulfills his duty with honor. Among other lessons, he has taught me to persevere when it comes to things that I really do not want to do. Determination, Integrity, Courage, Honor, and Faith can certainly be modeled by a mother, but if you have a father in the house, you get a double dose. As for me, I need all the help I can get.