Live with passion, not regret

Dawn - Skiatook, Oklahoma
Themes: carpe diem

In October of 2001, I was the 2nd of three cars involved an fatality accident. A 62-year-old Alzeimer’s patient got away from her home and walked into the highway. It was dusk and difficult to see anything other than vehicles in the road. The car in front of me hit the woman as she was walking between the lanes of the highway. She was killed instantly, although subsequent cars couldn’t steer clear of her body. From the moment my car was involved in this tragedy, my life was completely changed. I went from being someone who made lists and plans to someone who lived in the here and now. I no longer waited for things to happen to me – I became the instrument of of change in my life. I lived more passionately. I lived for life and swore to never have another regret. I learned from the accident that you truly never know when your last moment of life may be. It is important to live so that when it’s all said and done you have no regrets about yourself or your life. No more “I wish I could have…” or “I wonder what would have happened if…” No more “I could have done so much more… been so much more.”

I refuse to allow my children to grow up with any regrets or see me settle for less than what life has to offer. To some, this may seem selfish. To me, there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t consider the woman who waundered into the highway that fall evening. I suspect that there were many things in her life that were left unfinished. I feel that I owe it to her to live the life she might have lived if things had been different. I will live my life so that neither of us have regrets, only passion for the time we have been given.