The Equilibrium of Nature

Thomas - Wayne, Pennsylvania
Themes: environment

The Equilibrium of Nature

I believe that there is a balance in everything. Life itself has its own safety features to always maintain its equilibrium. I believe that one good deed does not go unpaid and unnoticed and that a bad one does not either. Nature’s uncontrollable force always places the same amount of marbles on the right as it does on the left. I believe that no matter how hard we try, we can not escape the vacuum that is the equilibrium of nature.

Just a few months ago, I witnessed the potency of nature’s balance. It was at a small gas station where I saw a thief stealing from the snack counter. In total, it could not have added to more than five dollars, but the price he paid afterwards may have left an indelible black mark on his body, and mind. After this perpetrator successfully robbed the store, he drove off in his beaten up ’94 Toyota Corolla. A few minutes later, my family saw the aftermath of a fatal car crash, resulting in a fatality and a few dire injuries. Sure enough, that same ’94 Corolla was involved. His petty crime ultimately resulted in a not-so-petty accident. If his physical ailments do not restrain him in the future, his guilt of causing such a hideous crime sure will.

However, I believe nature has implemented a crucial device that every one of us has. That is our conscience. That small voice in our head is our personal defense system against the aggression from the natural equilibrium. In our teenage years, we are pressured to rebel against this strong force. This strong urge to “stick it to the man” is why many teenagers make rash, precipitate decisions that will come and haunt them later.

In my personal life, I have also experienced this force from unknown sources. Usually, when coping with the pressures of homework, social life and extracurricular, I always remind myself that hard work would ultimately lead to rewards later. Reaping the seeds sown by sweat and tears ultimately balances the strenuous completion of the task itself. Conversely, I think committing insidious deeds will also result in harm done to me, sort of like “what goes around, comes around.”

I am, in no way, trying to suggest an almighty being implementing this powerful force. For you skeptics out there, try to notice the daily actions you take. You will be surprised when you are rewarded for, say, helping someone pick up his schoolbooks. Also, don’t be shocked when a bad deed comes back to bite you in the *beep*.