LIVING IS LEARNING

Liana - 97006, Oregon

LIVING IS LEARNING

I used to think that learning was something that only occurred behind the walls of a classroom. I used to judge ones wisdom and knowledge by how many years were spent in a classroom. I thought if a person never went to college or did not graduate high school that there was no way that these people could be educated individuals. Although now I know better. I awoke one morning and realized that I had learned a lot in the past few years, I had become wiser , more observant, more understanding, more confident, I felt to be an educated individual. I wondered if I had really learned such things from what I was taught in school but the truth was that I had become more educated because of the things that I had learned from my experiences. I learned that education doesn’t always have to mean learning in a classroom, I can become an educated individual but all it takes is a little effort on my part.

This lesson was not learned a moment to soon. I recently discovered that my lifelong dream to challenge my academic mind and study my life away at a university was beyond my financial capability. Perhaps if I would have discovered this a year or two ago I would have been very disappointed, but now I know that I can still gain an education without an expensive university. You can discover and learn by what you see and observe around you everyday. You don’t need a degree to be educated or to be wise. Although many people may criticize this idea and say to be educated you need to have been taught to be so at some kind of school, I am prepared to prove them all wrong. I hope that these people realize like I have that learning can occur beyond a classroom and that you can truly learn and grow just by learning and analyzing the experiences you have.

So I live my life so that I never pass up any opportunities that I may learn from. Learning is a priority in my life and as long as I continue to learn things everyday, I don’t need a degree to prove the knowledge that I know I will gain. My ultimate goal in life is to live a happy life and now I see myself being happy if I just continue to learn from my everyday life or if I ever do get the opportunity to go to a college or university.