I Believe in Friendship

Leticia - Brunswick, Georgia

I Believe in Friendship

I believe in friendship. Friendship to me is always being there for someone when you are needed and helping them with their problems. Ever since I began school I have had many close friends. Every one of them had something different that made them my best friend. The first time I realized what true friendship was in the fifth grade.

When I came to live in Georgia there were not many Hispanic people that were living here. It was a big change because where I had come from there had always been a strong population of Hispanics. When I began school many people thought it was weird for me to know two languages mostly because they were not very used to it. One day a boy, who was sitting next to me, said a mean comment about Hispanics which really hurt my feelings. I began to cry, but I did it so that he would not notice. What he had said made me feel like an outsider.

During recess one of my best friends noticed I was not feeling well. She asked me what was wrong. I felt hesitant to tell her because I did not know what she was going to say. When I finally told her she felt as bad as I did. When we went back to class she walked up to the boy who had said the mean comment.

She asked the boy to apologize, which he would not do I told her I did not care any more, but she knew I did.

After school she told me that if anyone ever said anything mean to me again she would stand up for me, which I really appreciated. Ever since that day I realized that she was not only a true friend, but she was more like my older sister. A year later she became my God sister.

I have always thanked her for everything she did even know that I am older. She was not only the person who stood up for me but she also helped me when I was feeling down or when people teased me for being different.

After many years we are still the best of friends. We look out for each other. Even thought she moved away I realized that our friendship has lasted for so long. We try to talk as much as we can even though it is not as often as we would like but remembering what makes us so close helps our friendship stay strong.