I believe in my brother

Hannah - Sea Island, Georgia
Themes: purpose

I love to think about life. One aspect of life that I always give a great deal of thought towards is who I am as a person. Even though my experiences have thought me a lot, I still struggle to answer the question, who am I? This question is difficult, but I have made it harder than it really is. I tend to think about things so in depth that I loose myself and the question becomes harder for me to figure out. A special person in my life who has showed me how simple the answer can be is my older sibling, Steuart. I believe in my brother.

My brother has always marched to the beat of his own drum, literally. He plays the drums and has put his heart and sole into this art. All of his life he has been the different one in our family. You would think that would put him down, but I believe it has made him who he is. Instead of college, he plans on continuing his music career and going on tour with his band. My father did not picture this future for Steuart, but after he saw how much passion he had, he accepted it. Having a unique brother has had a big impact on me. Steuart knows who he is by taking his goals and going for them. Life is not about doing what you are planned to do, it is about going after your dreams, because otherwise it is not worth living.

The time when Steuarts strive to achieve his dream hit me the most was when we were on our way to our grandparent’s house. On the way up there I finally had a connection with my brother. He was working on learning the parts of the songs he would play if he was chosen to be in the band. While he was singing and drumming I looked over at him and saw how truly amazing of a brother I was blessed with. This was one of my happiest moments because I saw my sibling for who he really is. He had so much passion in the way he was drumming that I knew he wanted this more than anything. We talked about his love for music and for the band. Sometimes it takes figuring out another person, to learn who you are. About two weeks later, my brother called me screaming and told me that he had just been asked to be in the band he had longed to be in. I believe in my brother because he has given me encouragement in going after what I truly want. He thought me that it is the experiences that you go through that help shape who you are.