The Blessing of Clumsiness

Pun - St. Simons Island, Georgia

Imagine if everyone walked gracefully, talked sophistically, and ate properly. Well, in reality, the majority does not. Some may have trouble with talking; while others have a hard time with table manners. I, however, stumble mostly on walking. But it does not mean that I qualify to have tea with the Queen of England or preach the works of Plato. I am simply clumsy whenever walking. The word clumsiness appears to most as uncoordinated, lacking grace, and troublesome. Yes, it is all of those, and it is quite troublesome. However, I do not believe in proving something that is obvious; instead, I believe in the blessing of clumsiness.

How could something that is troublesome and annoying be a blessing? To be honest, I did not always think that clumsiness was a blessing. It was more like a curse. When I was about nine years-old, I stood on top of a playground in my friend’s house and threw Beanie Babies at my friend’s cat. This cat was mean and grumpy, but most of all I did not like it…really reasonable eh? Well, my friend and I were having fun throwing Beanie Babies at the cat, but I got too carried away that I flipped out of the playground and fell on my head. I remembered crying and had blood gushing from my head, then I passed out. Afterwards, I accepted being a danger to myself and tried to avoid all possibilities of harm, such as not going into beaches, pools, and playgrounds.

I believe that clumsiness is a source of humility. No matter how many countless times I might fall or make mistakes, I acknowledge my blunders as my own and do not put the blame on someone else. I have grown to embrace my clumsiness as part of my personality. It is part of who I am.

I believe that clumsiness brings about courage. It takes courage to admit mistakes and keep moving forward, no matter how embarrassing the situation is. To be able to laugh it off and hold back from crying is amazing. It shows maturity and independence. Before, I would always go to my mother and cry my problems to her; nowadays I confront my difficulties and take everything step by step.

Whether it would be falling down the stairs at school or at home, tripping over book bags, or stumbling along my friends, I would never trade my clumsiness for something perfect. If tomorrow goes by without a mistake, I would feel like that day was wasted and that I did not learn anything. No more do I feel afraid of anything to hold me back nor is clumsiness a curse. To me, clumsiness is a blessing that I will use to grow up. I believe in this.