My

Katherine - Malvern, Pennsylvania

I find myself becoming increasingly more stressed as I grow older and try to attain society’s idea of success. My most recent form of angst came in the form of the infamous college search. If it’s not hard enough to trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, the added pressure of getting into prestigious college that my parents would be proud of was enough to send me over the edge. So to make sure that my sanity level stayed in check I started to block out an hour of time from my busy schedule devoted entirely to whatever I felt in the mood for. I call this my “me” hour.

Now it has been month since I started my “me” hour, and everything has become more enjoyable. Instead of feeling the mental fatigue from trying to map out the perfect course to ensure my successful future, my mind is rejuvenated from the daily pit stop it receives consistently from six to seven. This pit stop may only be spent listening to music or taking a short nap, but the results that ensue make what look like insignificant actions momentous to my success. My focus has been sharpened, allowing me to retain every piece of information I read or instruction I am told. And it shows in everything I do. My grades in almost every subject have increased by a couple of points and my competitive athletic drive has become even more tenacious. In basketball I have made my jump shot that I proud myself on being pretty decent even more accurate, and in track I have recently thrown another personal record in the discus. Ironically, by taking an hour out of my time that would be used to better my chances of getting into college and getting myself closer to the successful life I am told is a must, my odds of being accepted into the exalted university are better. I believe in spending an hour a day dedicated to something that will make you happy so that you will never be consumed by the stressful life that comes from living in a society where status is everything.