Music depicts what is most important in life

Emily - Saint Simons Island, Georgia

Music is not a form of entertainment; it is not a distraction from life: it is a depiction of life. Through music, people express what is most valuable to them, and what consumes their thoughts. Melodies convey their emotions and allow these emotions to be received by anyone. Music is boundless. There are no wrong ways to create music, just better ways depending on the person. There is no saying what is right or wrong, good or bad. I wish everyone perceived the world the way I perceive music: all of it is good. If you listen to it closely, there will always be something unique and likable about it. I can become attracted to music the way a person can become attracted to another person. With each song or artist I admire, I gain a new perspective- a new aspect of my character.

Music is intensely intimate and undoubtedly fascinating. Band members share a soul in that way: each person adds a part of themselves to make one product. It is an example of our intellect. It creates a huge gap between humans and animals through this new level of connection and understanding. Music is an adventure into other peoples’ worlds through sound.

Chan Marshall’s slow, smoky vocals grasp my interest just as much as Eric Johnson guitar does when he plays as though he created the concept of tone. Artists can portray their emotions through any aspect of their music: through their pitch, instruments, tempo, tone, and variation of all four. They can sing heart wrenching vocals, or like Morrissey from the Smiths, use their words to change society. The words that Morrissey sings tell me what is important to him.

Musicians should have complete control and understanding of their instruments, like Jimi Hendrix and B.B. King, who can make their guitars sing. Sometimes the instruments are more powerful than our voices because they send the emotion to their listeners directly. I gain an understanding of that person without seeing them, talking to them, or knowing anything about their past. The melodies of the instruments connect people in a way that words cannot.

Contrary to Jimi Hendrix and B.B. King, there are bands like the Cocteau Twins who captivate their listeners through their eerie instrumentals. Their mind-enslaving vocals and experimentation using the “wall of sound” are enough to mesmerize me. Even though The Cocteau Twins and Jimi Hendrix are completely different genres of music, they still connect with me. I feel like I know them without knowing anything about them.

I discover myself within other people, these artists. They inspire me, motivate me, and indirectly influence me. Music is not merely listening, but it is truly hearing and understanding.

It is more than just something I hear- it incites my imagination. I imagine myself as something greater while listening to music. Music depicts our lives, and through it, I discover the importance of connection between people.