I Believe in Carpe Diem

Caroline - St. Simons ISland, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Carpe Diem is a Latin phrase that is translated as “seize the day.” Seizing the day refers to living life to the fullest potential and making the most of your short and unpredictable lifetime.

I believe that living everyday as if it were my last brings a sense of quality and purpose to living. I try hard to fulfill my dreams and bring joy to my life, no matter what difficulties might present themselves along the way. Why even live a life without meaning or purpose?

Carpe Diem may be a philosophy for thousands of people around the world, but of course, it is easy for many people, including me, to forget about the importance of making the most of life. I always seem to find myself slacking off on schoolwork or wasting my time on things that I do not even truly care about. Often when I find myself off in “La-La land,” I think about all of the productive things I could be focusing on rather than practically falling asleep with my eyes open. This really disheartens me, and all of the less fortunate people of the world or sick friends and family members fill my thoughts and motivate me to do something great with my life. I remember when my mom was diagnosed with a rare liver disease and was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. It was not like she was dying or anything, but it really made me realize that life is short and always unpredictable. This incident inspired me to try to make something or myself and bring true meaning to my life.

In life, different occasions call for different actions, but there is always one thing that I can always count on to lift me up: living life to the fullest. When I focus on what is truly important to me, I constantly feel truth, meaning, and joy come forward from inside myself. From day to day, inspiration comes to me from living life to its fullest potential and enjoying every minute of it. Of course, it is hard to live in constant chaos and excitement, so I enjoy taking relaxing days where I might not even change out of my pajamas. This is definitely a calming experience, but it gets old quickly. The most thrilling and eventful days of my life happen when I put all of my worries aside and live a carefree life. Reaching my dreams and enjoying every minute of my life keeps me a happy person, and I cannot imagine the pain I would feel if I am not happy with the outcome of my life when I die. I truly believe that life is short, and we should live every day like it is our last.