I believe in the importance of laughter.

Sabrina - Wayne, Pennsylvania

Laughter. It is universal, addictive, timeless, and contagious. It is essential to our well-being and survival on earth. I believe in the importance of laughter. I believe laughter cures, uplifts, and creates us.

Laughter is a cure. I know this is true because I have seen it work miracles. My cousin, Jordan, battled a rare kind of Leukemia at the young age of five and upon visiting him, I was taught what laughter could do. The doctors and nurses consistently ordered us, as they did all other families on the ward, to make our loved ones laugh because it is the best medicine in all the world. As Jordan’s body weakened from the disease I watched his spirit strengthen with laughter and happiness. He was cured from his disease at the age of 8, being one of a thousand to make it, and the doctors always told us it was his positive outlook and inscrutable happiness that kept him alive.

Laughter can cure anything. A bad day, a broken heart, a sick friend, a mental illness. Laughter’s ability to stimulate our brain and create positive responses in our bodies is miraculous.

Laughter also uplifts. It stems from the center of our being and the core of our hearts, making its affect on ourselves tremendous. Laughter dims the pain and suffering we experience, making life worthwhile. Ken Kesey wrote, in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, that “He knows you have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance, just to keep the world from running you plumb crazy” (Kesey 237). This quote made a deep impression on my mind the second I read it. I believe in its truth to the fullest extent. If you can’t laugh at yourself, or at the things that bother you, your only other option is to let them engulf you.

Laughter also creates us. It is an inborn and basic instinct which all humans possess. Babies learn to laugh long before they learn to talk or walk. Laughter is one of our first and most basic forms of communication. As we grow we all take an on an individual pattern and tone of laughter. Whether it’s a high-pitched giggle or a low belly-chuckle, it awakens the body and stimulates our minds.

Laughter and its affect on the human race is undeniable. Its power; magnificent. It’s so powerful that it succumbs our bodies and our minds and leaves us no choice but to think only of the moment we’re enjoying and let all our other troubles fall away. Without laughter we would be crushed by the burdens that life deals us everyday. Without laughter our lives would be dark and painful. Laughter is our escape and our cure. I believe that laughter is one of the most important things in the world.