It Really is That Simple

Cate - Malvern, Pennsylvania
Themes: pleasure, work

It Really is That Simple

I believe in doing only what you love to do. I believe in staying up late even if it means being exhausted the next day. I believe in going to the beach every day in August even if it means quitting your summer job. I don’t believe anyone should work in a cubicle even if does pay well.

I realize I am young and inexperienced, but I am not naïve, and I know that more often than not you have to do things you don’t want to. It is impossible to always do what you love doing. Who can say they love working on Friday nights? And does anyone really enjoy taking the SAT’s? Without making sacrifices and doing things you hate doing, you will miss out on doing all the things you love. Personally, I don’t look forward to doing schoolwork. But I do look forward to the future, and I know I am going to love getting into a good college. At college, I’m not going to love all my classes, but I will do the work because I will love getting a job that I enjoy. I am willing to do the dirty work now because I believe it will get me to a place I will love being in the future.

If, however, ultimately you don’t enjoy what you do, then I believe in changing what you’re doing. As cliché as it is, life is too short to be anything but happy. If your job is awful, find a new one. If you hate having practice seven days a week, quit. If your friends are mean, find nicer ones. There is no point in doing what you hate. You won’t get anything out of it, and you’re not helping anyone else. People push themselves to do things they don’t want to do simply because it seems expected of them. I personally have experienced this.

I have been playing on the same softball team for five years, and I still am even though I can think of hundreds of things I would rather be doing. “I’ve put in too much time to just throw it all away,” – that’s what they tell me. “Why quit now?” To be blunt—because now I am sick of it. I don’t enjoy wasting my time doing something just because it is familiar, and missing out on new, and better, opportunities. I believe the point of life is to enjoy it, and I believe it really is that simple.