Carpe Diem

Laura - St. Simons Island, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Laura Hoffacker

Mr. Karpowitz

World Literature

April 5, 2008

I Believe in Carpe Diem

I believe in carpe diem. I believe it is important to seize each day because life is short and you never know when it’s going to come to an end. It is important to be grateful, for each day is a gift, a gift that way too many people take for granted. Life is fully of opportunities and adventures that should be taken and enjoyed. Life is also full with many hard situations, and it is through these situations that I have come to truly appreciate life and all it has to offer.

It is depressing to hear news of deaths and illnesses. It is no fun to go through such times as these. Although it seems as if there is nothing positive that comes from these situations, I believe that it really make you appreciate your own life. Through these hard times, my outlook on life has changed for the better. I know appreciate each day I am given.

My best friend’s sister has been going through a really hard time recently. She has been diagnosed with a stage 3 brain tumor. She is 10 years old and a really amazing human being. I have visited her numerous times when she has had to have surgeries in Atlanta, and it is so moving to spend time with her. Although she has to get chemo-therapy and a lot of surgeries, she is smiling and cracking jokes in the hospital bed. I have realized that countless people in the world are going through hard times just like this, and I really should appreciate being healthy and should live each day to the fullest, because I never know what God has in store for me.

I really enjoy summertime. It is my favorite time of year. I have been very blessed to have the opportunity to go to an amazing summer camp in North Carolina. At this camp, I have learned many important life lessons. One of which, is carpe diem. My favorite part of summer camp is the kayaking. Whitewater kayaking is a very fun and exciting sport, but when you are first learning it can be nerve-wrecking. During my first few years of kayaking, I was terrified to go down risky rapids that could potentially flip my kayak over. Once I went on one of the really hard rapids I realized how much fun I was missing, and I regretted being to scared to go down them earlier. From facing my fears and learning that I really had more skill than I thought, I really began to step out of my comfort zone and just have a great time. During kayaking, I really try to seize each day, for I never know when it’s going to be my last year at summer camp.

I know that life is not always perfect. I also know that it is very hard to wake up every morning and say “Thank you Lord for this great day you have given me!” I do believe that being positive and “seizing the day” is an important thing to do in life.