My Belief

Jolisa - San Antonio, Texas

Every now and then people make an effort to better their lives. For me, there is always something that happens to give me that extra push. Many people, and myself, believe things happen for reasons such as a death or a birth. Both situations, I believe, are a push to pursue something to better ourselves. Others believe a birth after a death is just coincidence. I think it’s a message to let us know there are changes needed. This is why I believe the death of one person leads to a birth of another, which both are an awakening of an untouched aspect in our life.

The passing of my grandfather was the saddest event in my life. At this time, I was an athlete but I did not know the difference between playing and playing with passion. This changed in July of 2001. I had a blow out game, literally beating another team without letting them score. For me, it was just another game. Unknowingly, this was the day I would hear the news about my grandfather. I was filled with mixed emotions. A championship game was coming up. For the first time I played with passion. I left all my emotions on the court. Now, I can say I know what it means to play with passion. Soon after, my brother Diego was born. At first I thought, “why another kid.” When he was born a change of emotions came over me. We were so connected afterwards. He did everything with me. He made me happy, gave me a break from stress, and opened up my heart. He made me more responsible without even knowing it.

Since then, I stopped playing sports and I have not seen much of my brother, who is now five. Recently, my old coach, Frank, suffered from a heart attack. I was in total shock; most would say he was in the prime of his life. For three weeks he would not open his eyes. Seeing him so lifeless hurt me. He passed about a week ago and his services were unbelievable. Over 600 people showed; all of whom he touched. He was caring, considerate, and there if you needed him. Seeing the abundance of people inspired me to be more like him. A few days after Frank’s services, I found out I have twin siblings on the way. Knowing this makes me want to be better. It has motivated me to finish school, get a good career, and be healthy. I want to be there for them and for my brother Diego.

People die and people are born to help us change something in our life. Each of these people have brought out something good in me. They are put in my life to show me the importance of life. When a person dies somewhere another is born; this is an opportunity for us to realize there is a change that we can make for the better.