The Rejuvenating Power of an Orange

Marjon - Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Themes: forgiveness

The Rejuvenating Power of an Orange

To many, the orange is a fruit that epitomizes pure ecstasy. Its succulent flesh is colored a vivid, brilliant orange, as if it contains bursts of the sun. With every bite, its sweet, luscious nectar spurts out and exhilarates the taste buds. It then effortlessly flows through the esophagus as its chilling effect arouses every cell and revitalizes the body. However, many people may not agree that an orange provides the eyes or taste buds with such savory experiences. After all, the fruit’s skin not only emits a sharp, bitter aroma that is detected when smelled closely, but is infested with multiple miniscule pores, much akin to colorless blackheads. If not cut properly, the wannabe sphere squirts juice all over the place, creating a mess on the table and a stinging furor in the eyes. Every bite is accompanied by an accumulation of sticky orange chunks between one’s teeth. Thus, the orange is rendered blissful or burdensome depending on how one perceives it. However, the orange has the potential to rejuvenate the body. This I believe.

By nature, I am a member of the group of people who disagree with the claim that an orange offers an array of savory experiences. My senses seem to be ultra-sensitive to every flaw that uncovers itself. The negative aspects of a situation trump the positive ones. It was during my sophomore year in high school when my propensity to focus on the negative aspects of a situation reached its climax. The return of every test marked with a grade lower than a 95% triggered disappointment. My mind zoomed in on every mistake I had made. This happened so frequently that in my mind, these errors began to define my intelligence, or lack of, so to speak. I felt like every erroneous answer I had written imposed limitations on any potential I had to succeed. Every weekend ended with me fretting about the piles of work that I had failed to complete. Surely, this rendered me incompetent. Over time, a conglomeration of negative thoughts vehemently swarmed about my mind like a mob of angry cockroaches. They thrived because I kept feeding them with every negative thought I had. This wasted my energy and created a sulky, fatigued, anxious version of myself.

Over time, I came to acknowledge the fallacious nature of my thinking. After all, when I measured my ability, I had not taken into account the other 90% of a test I had answered correctly, or the amount of work I had completed on a given weekend. Thus, I began to shift my perspective on things. I began to recognize any successful accomplishments that had resulted from my efforts. I viewed failures as passing instances that did not foreshadow my future. I learned that every negative attribute of most situations is neutralized by a positive one. This new outlook that I had adopted allowed me to view things in a positive light, alleviating the burden of impending doom that had been materialized by my negative thoughts. I grew calmer and content with myself. This manifested itself in an improvement in my grades as well.

The effect that negative feedback has on the mind resembles the effect that ingested poison has on the human body. A stream of antagonistic thoughts hinders the mind’s ability to function clearly, resulting in distractions or depression. However, positive feedback motivates many, and allows them to think clearly, in much the same way that fruits and vegetables reenergize the body. Therefore, I believe in the power of perspective. An orange has the potential to rejuvenate the body. This I believe.