Love

Anthony - Lompoc, California
Themes: love

If there is one word that I would have to say describes how I shape my life and defines who I am and who I want to be, it is love. Love is a simple word, a powerful word, but not just a word. For me, love is a verb, an action, and a lifestyle. A nonstop fuel that drives my life. When I look at it, I usually find that much of the pain and suffering in this world is caused by an absence of love. This can change though. It is not all that difficult. Simply show love to people. It can be a simple greeting, a gift, a compliment, or basically anything.

The problem is that people only show love to people they care about. They do not show it to people that they feel do not deserve it. Why do they not deserve love? Were you hurt by them at one time? Do you disagree with their views? Okay, so now just go on through your life not caring about that person or showing any compassion. Does that really make sense? What good will that accomplish in the end? How will that make you feel better? It won’t make you feel better. It will probably make you feel even worse. But if you open up to people and show them love, and by love I mean actual true unconditional love, life can change.

From firsthand experience, I have found that loving people leads to a much better outcome than ignoring them or even hating them. Everyone deserves it. No matter what they have done to you or others in their life, they need love. Everybody needs love. One of the basic desires of humans is to feel love from another person. Not necessarily male/female love, but friendly love, brotherly love, motherly love, and the list goes on and on. Sometimes I wish that we had more words for love than just one. Many other languages have multiple words for love that describe what kind it is. There are special words for human love, godly love, etc. It would change how we express our love to people. On the other hand, since we only have one word in the English language, which also means that it encompasses all kinds of love we try to talk about.

Now imagine a world where everyone did love each other. It would be perfect. There would be no war, no violence, no fear, and no hate. People would be able to work together to solve problems. Of course, humans are not perfect. We will screw up and hurt people no matter how hard we try. The key to giving love is forgiveness. One must give and receive forgiveness. You cannot just do one or the other. Both ends are needed to truly show love. Once again, it is not easy to do. It is painful to forgive after being hurt and also to accept other people’s forgiveness to you. Just forgiving and moving on with life is crucial. Why dwell on other’s mistakes. Focus on your own life and trying to be the best person possible. Don’t focus on the splinter in your neighbors’ eye when you have a log in your own. If you want to live a fulfilling life, having love is the absolute for sure way that you will.