I believe in saving the social security

Reza - Portland, Oregon

This I Believe.. I believe in saving the social security. I believe hard working American people deserve financial security at the time of need.

While our country was in depression President Franklin D Roosevelt and his cabinet en acted Social Security. Social security system was not designed as an investment retirement plan, rather an insurance that provides economic assistance to hard working American people. It refers to the Federal Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI) program.

The Social security Act recorded on Aug 12 1935 states “To provide for the general welfare by establishing a system of Federal old-age benefits, and by enabling the several States to make more adequate provision for aged persons, blind persons, dependent and crippled children, maternal and child welfare, public health, and the administration of their unemployment compensation laws; to establish a Social Security board; to raise revenue; and for other purposes.”

I believe the government role in social security is the trustee of the social security fund.

I believe we need to secure Social Security Fund by passing laws to prevent anyone or any party to tap into the social security fund for any purpose other than social security programs. We also need to put safeguards in place so that those laws will be enforced and will never be broken.

Presently only people with salaries /earned income of less than $90K per year are contributing percentage of their entire salaries/ earned income to the social security fund.

I believe it is only fair that people with salaries/ earned income of more than $90K per year and who also receive social security benefits would help the social security system from its present crisis by temporarily contributing percentage of their entire salaries/ earned income to the social security fund – temporarily removing the social security cap.

I believe we will be able save the social security system not only for our generation but also for our future generations.

I believe this is the American way, thinking about us while preserving the rights of our future generations.