You Are Closer To Your Sibling Than You Think

Alexis - Wayne, Pennsylvania

I believe even if you do not want to admit it, your sibling really is your best friend.

The first time someone told me that when I was older, my sister was going to be my best friend, I think I laughed in their face. I remember thinking this person was nuts, how on earth was I to believe that? My sister my best friend? Preposterous.

Only being a year-and-a-half apart in age and a grade apart in school, we were always together, something I regretted when I was younger. I was always her little sister, even in school, and I could never escape it.

At home, I had to listen to her and obey her rules, because she was older. Needless to say we fought a lot. Fights over the bathroom, or our room, or frequently over the all important question of “whose was whose”, were never ending. Never ending that is, until my parents came in and agreed with me, because I was younger.

I never realized how much she had to put up with me, and deal with losing out because “I was younger”. I could not honestly say there were never times she “won” because she was older, but I was obstinate, and for that, I usually became the victor.

As we grew older, the fights became less frequent but still occurred. We were no longer bitter foes, and we could even get through an entire conversation without someone raising their voice.

When I entered high school, things continued to improve. We separated rooms, and for the most part, in school I was no longer her little sister. Except for our friends and a few others, no one even realizes we are sisters, and at first upon looking at us, sometimes do not believe it. One time, it took a teacher we both had till the end of the year to figure out we were related to each other, let alone sisters.

It is nice, not always having a person hanging over you for others to compare you to. But I will admit, a lot has changed since we were younger. We rarely fight now and when we do, its arguments over who needs the car, or who has to pay more for the gas. You could even find us talking to each other in school, a step up from the wave or slight smile we previously exchanged.

As she is a senior now and only has weeks left in high school, I am starting to realize how much I will actually miss her, something I said I would never do. Long gone will are stupid fights over the car or bathroom be, and someone else will be listening to complaints about my parents. I guess if I ever saw the man again, who told me my sister was going to be my best friend, he would be the one laughing in my face, saying I told you so; and this time, I could not disagree.