Who I Want To Be

Darcie - Chesterfield, Virginia

I believe in friendship.

I was in my aunt’s kitchen in the middle of a conversation when I heard my cell phone ring. It was Ryan. I didn’t want to interrupt my conversation, assuming he was probably just calling to reaffirm I was coming to our weekly “movie night”. I ignored the call, and the phone made one more sound to notify me I had a voicemail. I was not in the mood for movie night, but I couldn’t think of a real reason why I shouldn’t go. I thought to myself, I’m a horrible friend. Movie night is always fun and I should just go. I checked the voicemail, but it wasn’t what I expected. In a somber voice I heard, “Darcie, this is Ryan. I have something important to tell you. Please call me back as soon as possible.” Wow, what could he possibly have to tell me that is so important? I dialed his number, and the news hit me like a left-hook to the heart. “Jon was in an accident yesterday evening, and he didn’t make it. He passed away this morning.” I was speechless. My eyes instantly began to well up with tears. I grabbed my keys off of the kitchen table, and my aunt told me to drive carefully.

I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to believe what had happened. I called Brandon; he would make everything better (at least I hoped he would). I drove to his house and as I arrived he was there waiting to wrap his arms around me. We talked about what had happened and he comforted me the best way he knew how. He cancelled his meetings for work and made sure that I was okay. Brandon was my backbone for the two weeks that followed. “Hey Darcie, I need help replacing a few car parts. Why don’t you come by?” he asked the day of the funeral. He knew I couldn’t handle being alone, but he also knew I had no idea what went on under the hood of a car. Why would he ask me for help? Brandon found any reason he could think of for me to come over to his apartment in a way that I felt I wasn’t being a burden on him.

A couple weeks earlier I didn’t want to go to Ryan’s house to watch a movie because I felt I would have better things to do. After my world flipped upside down Brandon did have better things to do, but he stayed by my side through it all. That was true friendship, and that is who I strive to become.