Only the Good Die Young

Alexis - Wayne, Pennsylvania

I believe that in all my life, I have never heard a statement more true than “only the good die young”. I also believe that youth is not definable by age. Youth, instead, is a particular outlook on life. Childish is often an adjective used with a negative connotation, but I think we should all strive to be child-like. They view everything with wonder, and if ever anyone does them wrong, all they know is forgiveness. How youthful someone is cannot be known by their appearances, like how many wrinkles they have on their skin. It is not a number, like twenty, or forty-five, eighty, or even one hundred. In fact, some of the most youthful people I have ever met have had the highest numbers. I think that at some point and time, like almost all of us, they lost their youth along the way. Sometimes it takes knowing our days are numbered for us to appreciate how much every day counts. Some of us never lose our youth, and these are the most spectacular people of all, and we should all try to learn from them.

I also believe that all people are inherently good, although sometimes it is hard to see this. So I suppose, instead of “only the good die young”, it should be “all people are good, and all people die young”. While at times we all fail to be good, at times it is for many years, I think we must realize that it is never too late to be good to others. One thing any person does can make the most significant difference in another person’s life, whether we realize it or not. I believe we must strive to be as good as we can to other people, and love all other people, because some people have nobody to love them. We may not all realize how much being good to someone matters, how one hello can help, or one hug, but they do. I believe being good is not the same as being heroic, I believe goodness is defined by the everyday things people do, even when they don’t realize they’re doing it. I believe that all people are inherently good, whether all people can see that or not.

I believe that every person will pass from this life with an appreciation for all those people around them, and for all the life they have lived, now matter how long or short that life was. And in dying, we realize how good all people are. We realize how much the small things really matter. I think this is fitting, and it is the way things are meant to happen. We are born into a world where unconditional love is given to us, and we pass out of this world giving unconditional love to all those around us. I believe that all people are good, and all people die young.