Real World v. Fairy Tales

Tamara - Westphalia, Michigan
Themes: hope

I believe in fairy tales. In every one, there is a damsel (usually in some sort of distress). There is a hero, often a prince of noble character or someone else who has the courage to do what is right, who face against all odds to help said damsel. They don’t do it for the glory, but because they know it is what is right. Fighting with courage and honor, they defeat evil, rescue the dame, and live happily ever after.

I live in the real world, and I do not believe that these tales will come true. Fairy tale magic does not exist, and I know from experience that the world does not wrap up so nicely in the end. The chivalrous hero, though still out there, is hard to come by; old people have to shovel their drives alone, someone changes their tire on the side of the road without help, doors are not held open.

What I do believe in is chivalry and kindness, and that both still exist and people still exhibit them once in a while. There are still a few people out there who do good things simply because they are the right thing to do. I also believe that the good should be rewarded, even if it is a simple thank you, while that bad are punished. And most importantly, hold to the idea that good will triumph over evil, and the guy gets the girl in the end. Call me an old romantic, but I believe in fairy tales.