I believe in Making New Friends

Emilee - Coralville, Iowa

I believe in the Girl Scout song “Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other’s gold.” I’ve known this song since I was five, but it never really meant anything until now. I’ve moved three times in the past four years. I used to think that it was a terrible thing and that nothing good would ever come from it, but now I realized it could be one of the best.

It’s really hard to fit in at first, especially mid semester of your freshman year, but eventually things change and you find where you belong. It took me about a year. I made two friends and hung out with them all the time, but they both left Regina at the end of the year so I essentially had to start all over again. The worst part about moving is when you can’t share memories of growing up, sure you’ll make tons of new ones, but it will always be a little sad when you cant reminisce about elementary days.

The fun part about moving is that you have a chance to be anything you want to be. No one knows what you’ve done, who you’ve been friends with, or what your like at all. You have a whole new chance to make things anyway you want them to be.

Ill never forget the day that my dad sat our family down and told us, that after only a year, we were moving again. Its not even the making new friends part that I was most scared of, I was actually pretty good at making friends by the third move. It was about leaving the ones I already had.

Now that I’ve been at Regina for almost four years, I wouldn’t give it up for anything. I miss my old friends a lot and I still keep in touch with most of them, I would consider them my “gold” friends, as the song says. But I’m even luckier because now I have had the chance to get to know some really cool people and they can be my “silver” friends. Next year when I go away to college it will be the same thing. I realize now that I don’t have to be afraid of losing the friends I leave, because they will always be there, and I can make many more friends in the future. Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the others gold.