Keep Your Head Up

Julianne - Chattanooga, Tennessee

In just a split second, the time it took for me to hear and feel the bone in my right hand crack, my dreams shattered.

Just this past year, I broke my hand while tumbling at cheerleading practice. This injury forced me to take time off from my favorite sport, diving, and prohibited me from the competing in the state diving championship. I had spent the past year on the diving boards training day in and day out to compete in this meet, and in the time it took to do just one tumbling pass, a skill I had safely completed hundreds of times in my life, all the hard work I had put towards diving would have to be put on hold until next year. I spent the following day with tears in my eyes wondering what I had done to deserve this terrible disappointment. Along with the pain of knowing I would not be able to dive, I had an even bigger problem: semester exams started in just two days, and my right hand, the hand I wrote with, was immobilized with a cast.

After receiving comfort and support from my family, I realized that my situation could have been much worse, so, after a day of sulking, a smile resurfaced on my face, and I began looking at the bright side of my condition.

The doctor soon informed me that I wouldn’t need surgery like he had originally thought. I knew it would still be months before I could fully participate in my normal activities again, but I was thankful to hear that surgery was not necessary. Although every letter was a struggle to write and it took me much longer to finish my exams, I was able to see that this injury could not have happened at a better time because, with Christmas break just days away, I would be able to spend the next three weeks resting my hand instead of having to write with it every day at school.

Due to my personal experience, I now understand and believe that life is full of disappointments, but it is up to me to fight through them and make the best of each situation. Too often people simply give up when an obstacle is thrown in the path of their daily lives, but I have learned that it is finding the good in each disappointment that makes a person stronger and wiser.

The world would be nothing but a gloomy place if a person was only saddened by the many disappointments in life. Do not let your problems bring you down too much because things could always be worse. I believe that disappointments are the way God makes a person look around and realize all there is to be thankful for in life.