I Believe in Believing

John - Scottsdale, Arizona

I look around at my mother and father and four siblings and realize that I believe in family. I realized that you believe in things by yourself, such as a personal philosophy, and you believe in things as a group effort, like world peace and happiness. I’m influenced by everyone I come in contact with, whether it is good or bad. My beliefs are influenced by the words of my neighbor, the sermons of my priest, and the arguments of my friends. I believe that believing doesn’t mean being stubborn, but that your belief in something such as God can transform as you grow older and wiser. I believe in believing.

I believe in the power of words, the usefulness of forgiveness, the compassion of mercy, and the love for one’s neighbor. I believe in going to funerals even though it tears your soul to think that a life was taken, even though they’ll meet with God. I believe in honoring your mother and father, no matter how “tyrannical” they get. I believe that taking a human beings life is the most horrific act one can commit on this planet. I believe that mankind is inherently good but strays every few centuries into despair and darkness. I believe that all human beings are built for love, kindness, forgiveness and so on, but have the capacity to do evil. I believe in the power of the human heart, I believe in one God whose son redeemed the world. I believe in the ultimate justice by the almighty, His Ten Commandments and the golden rule. I believe that life is not about what you get, but who it’s spent with.

I believe in the power of faith, in silver lining, in eternal salvation or condemnation, in the power of the mind and soul and human conviction. These things I believe and so much more. I can go on forever listing the ideas I have, the beliefs I hold true and “self evident” and take my time to list them all. But eventually I will discover, as I have now, that there is no single faith, idea, or belief I can write about. In fact I believe it is preposterous that such an idea would be presented to a human. Would a human be a human if there was a simple, short, and quick essay answer for what you believe in? Could anyone truly write about one ultimate thing they believe in? I do not believe so. I think that those essays I have read were people settling on their most obvious faith. Surely the person who believes in failure believes in success. I bet the person who believes in getting off work to see the sunset also believes in hard work and determination. I believe that there will be a day when the world stands still and marvels at its history and lives in peace.