Patience Is A Virtue

janelly - phoenix, Arizona

Growing up as the middle child I knew patience was going to be a significant part of my life. When I was about 12 years old my parents were really abusive to each other. They would yell at each other and disrespect each other in every kind of way. At one point my older stepsister told me that my dad was cheating on my mom. Of, course, being the youngest at the time, I was daddy’s girl and I couldn’t believe it. I would tell myself that it wasn’t true.

My parents separated; and I decided to live with my dad. As days and nights passed I still didn’t know what was really going on, I decided to search for the truth. With tears in my eyes I simply asked him “Did you?” As I waited for his response the tears rolled down my cheeks. His answer was, “Yes, but you don’t understand.” I thought to myself how can I not? I wonder if he ever loved my mom? I broke down and wondered how I could I put my mom aside for my dad, defending my dad when it really did happen.

After months, my mom and dad talked-and we found out a new member was on their way. Mom was pregnant with my youngest sister, who’s now 6. As we reunited I was glad the troubles were behind us, and I knew we were going to be a happy family. At least that’s what I thought. My mom became really angry for a while, Now she has soften throughout the years, still I felt she had a grudge against me for a reason. Moreover, my dad wasn’t always there for me like a regular dad is but I understood because he has always been a hard working guy who supports our family.

So the reason to Patience Is a virtue is because I knew that our family going through all this anger among each other, I knew I was going to have lots of patience. Dealing with how I felt on how my mom was acting and being ignored I knew patience will be the best option because waiting and taking my time, will eventually get me somewhere.