The Shock of a Lifetme

Emily - Chandler, Arizona

For the past nine years I have been living in Arizona, my aunt Julia has always been apart of my life. My aunt is the type of person who if you heard anything she said you would want to know more and get to know her. I’ve always had a real close relationship with my family. When my parents were going through a divorce my aunt was always there to cheer me up. As of a couple of weeks ago my family has found out that my aunt has a tumor in her chest. The disease she was diagnosed with is called Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I believe that my aunt Julia will go through chemo and survive this part of her life.

Death has been a large part in my family’s life. When my mom and my aunt were 16 their father died of cancer. Another death occurred ten years later, their sister Beth had also died of cancer. Now a couple years ago in 2006 my moms step dad, my grandpa had died of Liver Cancer. My grandma, Riri is overly stressed. She doesn’t want to lose another daughter before she passes. My grandma would rather have her children bury her, than her burying them.

My aunt Julia is the cook in the family. I’m glad to say that the love of cooking that she has, has been passed down to me. One day before her chemo starts we’re going to make this dish called ‘Bow-Tie pasta with Alfredo and Pesto.’ Sometimes I sleep over at her house, and some mornings when we wake up we watch the Food Network. Watching Paula Dean and Rachael Ray is like a learning experience. My aunt would tell me different ways you could make something or what you could add to make it taste even better.

It’s hard to believe that something so scary could happen to someone you love so much. I never thought that after my grandpa was diagnosed with Hepatitis we wouldn’t have any more cancers in the family. But I was wrong, knowing my aunt she will be strong all the way through until this tumor is completely gone.

I believe that my aunt will live a long life. She will live to see her daughter Maddie graduate from high school and college. I believe that she will see her other daughter Angela graduate from college. I believe that she will see her grandchildren and her great grandchildren. I believe that my aunt won’t have to put her husband into assisted living at the age of 50. My aunt Julia will live a long life, this I believe.