The Importance of Life

Kylie - Iowa City, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem, death

In the summer before my junior year of high school my life was drastically impacted by the deaths of three people whom I was very close too. I didn’t understand any of it. I couldn’t comprehend why it all was happening to me and the people I was close to. I believe that people should live life to the fullest. Life is too short for regret and grudges. No one will ever know how much someone really means to them until they are gone.

On July 14th, 2006 I was told that one of my best friends in elementary school’s older brother had chosen to take his life. I was devastated. My mind was racing and I couldn’t think clearly. I had so many questions that I wanted answered and knew that no one would be able to answer them. Not even three hours after I had received that phone call, I was hit yet again with another heavy blow. My mom called me and told me that my great-grandpa had just died. I lost it. I cried for hours. How could this happen? How could two people so close to me be gone? It was unbelievable.

I remember having my friend’s visitation on a Tuesday, it was horrible. The next day I went to his funeral in the morning, and then my great-grandpa’s visitation that night. I couldn’t even stay for the whole thing, it was just too hard. Then, on Thursday morning I buried my great-grandpa. That was two funerals in three days.

By the end of July I was finally getting back to my old self. Realizing that there was nothing I could have done to prevent or change anything, I started hanging out with my friends again and having fun. Going bowling, going to movies, and playing my favorite sport in the world, softball.

Little did I know, I was about to be hit yet again.

At the end of July I was informed that one of my close friends was in the hospital. He had always had heart problems from the first day I met him. I remember staying inside at recess with him when it was cold because he wasn’t able to be outside. This young man was an amazing person who taught me so much about the value of life and friendship.

On August 6th, 2006, I was devastated yet again. My friend was getting ready to enter surgery to get a heart transplant and he died on the operating table. I never got a chance to visit him, and I still haven’t forgiven myself. His visitation and funeral was just as hard for me to be at.

Life. It’s a powerful thing that many people take for granted. Take care of it. Love it and live it. Don’t regret anything, and don’t hold a grudge, because in reality, nobody knows how important someone is until they are gone forever.