I believe

Kristen - Kellyville, Oklahoma

I Believe

Everyone has heard the expression “live life to the fullest.” Well, I believe just this way and it sank in when I was in a car accident in July.

I was supposed to meet a friend before she left for OSU. Unfortunately, my friend was leaving sooner than planned. Because she was leaving earlier, I was in a major rush to meet her. That morning started badly, because rain was pouring outside and my alarm clock did not wake me up. I finally managed to get ready and hurried out the door not even telling my mom and dad good-bye. They were still sleeping and I did not want to wake them. I knew they would ask questions and it would only delay me.

Finally, I was on my way and I was traveling in my car faster than usual. Suddenly, a deer darted out in front of me. I slammed my brakes so hard my car hydroplaned, causing it to go off a bridge into Pole Cat Creek. My car flipped over and I found myself upside down in the creek as the car began filling with water. I was confused and scared and I did not know what was going on or where I was. All I felt was pain in my head and then I realized I had hit my head on the dash and I was bleeding everywhere. I tried to get out of my car but my doors were jammed shut. So, there I was trapped and no one had a clue where I was. Ironically, my Bible had fallen into my lap. The weirdness is that my Bible had been in my trunk. Immediately, I began thinking about the way I acted right before I left. All I could do was pray to God that I would have another chance to see my parents. As the water rose in my car, I knew I did not have much time until my car was completely filled up. The only logical thing I thought to do was kick my back glass out and swim to the nearest bank. It was the only plan I had, so I kicked the glass out and crawled out the back and landed in the water. It was not as far as I thought to the edge of the creek. Finally, I made it and climbed up on the creek bank.

Breathing harder than I think I have ever breathed before, I climbed up the embankment and out of nowhere my brother came driving up. The next memory I have was in the emergency room dripping wet in my brother’s arm. I guess I had been so woozy from my head being cut that I did not remember the ride to the hospital. It just felt wonderful to be comforted by my brother and know everything was going to be okay. I was fine and my car was just a car and could be replaced.

Looking back now, this situation has changed my life dramatically. I feel like God has given me one more chance to live life and not take life for granted. A simple car ride could change a person’s life for ever. I hope from this experience everyone around me has learned to enjoy every moment of their life. Every day contains the chance to live life to its fullest and let the people I know that I care about them. Anything can happen in this life and I may not have another chance. My life and my loved ones are precious and cannot be replaced.