Animals Taught Us

Remi - Davenport, Iowa

My dad loves to hunt pheasants in the fall. One day, I decided to sacrifice my one day to sleep in and go hunting with him. After an hour walking, I could tell that my dog and I wanted to go home because we were so bored. I was about to walk back to the car with my dog, Takoda, but Takoda refused to go so I continued to walk. We had been walking for about an hour with no pheasant in sight. Finally some pheasants appeared and my dad shot. I don’t know if it was the excitement of just going on a hunt, or if it was just that Takoda wanted to retrieve a pheasant, but whatever was going through his head kept him patience with hope that we would walk away with a successful hunt.

I believe that the animals have taught us. By saying that, I mean that from the early stages of mankind, we learned to hunt, fish, survive, and countless other things all because the animals showed us how. Also, the animals have showed us how to live a good life full of happiness.

Wolves and deer have taught us how to hunt by showing us that we have to be patient. Deer are very aware of their surroundings; wolves showed us that we have to be patience while hunting for deer and other animals. We have to wait while the deer comes to where we have the best shot. Patience is something that everyone in this world need a little more of and I think that the wolves taught us that virtue.

Fishing is survival action that we have to patient with, but we have to be smart when trying to catch big fish. Many say that the bears are where the fish are. That’s true, however, they also showed us how not to be greedy. Bears taught us that we shouldn’t be greedy while taking from the environment. Bears never take more than what they can eat when fishing for their lunch or dinner. They always take the perfect amount so they are not wasteful.

Relaxing is something that everyone should do for a little bit everyday. Of course all domestic animals have taught us that whenever something goes wrong, we need to give ourselves a break no matter what we do. Cats and dogs also teach us that everyday is a brand new day and that you should always wear a smile. Most animals have the happiest attitude towards everything and that teaches us to spend everyday with a pleasant attitude.

I believe that the animals have showed a lot of things are truly needed to be successful in life. Mankind may be at the top of the food chain but every animal should be at the top for their insight on life. I give the animals just as much credit for teaching us as I would to anyone one else that I know.