How To Measure Success

Logan - st.simons island, Georgia

Logan R

Mr. Karpowitz

I Believe In …

John Foster Dulles once said, “the measure of success is not whether you have a though problem to deal with, but whether it is the same problem as you had last year” and this I believe, that success is accomplishing tasks that that seemed to be out of reach and taking on new challenges

The first year of my high school career I was probably one of the worst students in the school at the time, not because of my behavior, but by the way my academics were going. My teachers and the head of the high school were all concerned and had frequent talks with me about my grades, at one time I was asked if I was trying to fail out to go to another school. Through out my ninth grade year school was not important to me and I didn’t care whether I did well or not, this and not caring enough to put forth an effort into school was the problem I had to face. Luckily by the end of the year I squeezed by with good enough grades to pass, in fact I don’t think one of my grades was above a C average. That year passed and I got my priorities in order and now have completed the task of doing well in school, to the point of where teachers from my ninth grade year know about it, the change in my school career has gotten me noticed by both the head of the high school and by the headmaster, both have talked to me and are proud of the accomplishments and the effort that I have made in school this year. My favorite thing about when they talk to me is the million dollar question “what happened?” or “what changed?” the only answer I can give them is that I have changed and I want to do well. I overcame the problems I had last year and now I am faced with new challenges everyday in school and in life.

I think that after beating this obstacle I have proved more than just what I believe, but also that you can’t judge people too quickly, the head of the high school, Mr. Gardner, talked to my father and said that he didn’t think I would make it through Frederica Academy with the way my academics were going last year and I have now made him realize that you can’t judge people to quickly, because just when you think that your right that person can change tour mind.