In understanding and accepting your in-laws

James - Lompoc, California
Themes: family, tolerance

My wife was born and raised in a small town in the central valley. Her upbringing and family are different; different from mine. We are both in our mid-twenties and have one child who is one year old. My father-in-law, Rudy, is one unique individual. He can talk for hours and hours about his military life. He is the youngest of seven children, served twenty years in the Philippine Navy, married my mother-in-law in his forties, immigrated to the USA soon after, had two children, worked as a custodian at Longs Drugs for twenty-five years, and just recently blew out 70 candles on his birthday cake at a Chinese buffet. My mother-in-law, Maxie, is the typical housewife, who puts everybody before herself, serves you your food, washes your clothes (even her 28 year old daughter’s clothes), cooks all of the meals, especially for Buster – the spoiled cockashit (cocker spaniel, chihuahua and shih-tzu mix). She is always the last to go to bed as she picks up after everybody, does the dishes, etc. She is a wonder woman! Now, Michelle, my sister-in-law is not your typical twenty-eight year old. She recently graduated with her Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science, however, she doesn’t apply it. One of her first jobs out of high school was working as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA). Well, let’s just say that she is still employed at that same place and in that same position. She still lives at home and I don’t believe she will ever decide to leave. She will bend over backwards to help anybody that she knows, especially her family, but sometimes overlooks herself. She is a gambler! Did I mention the whole family is? Table Mountain Casino is their time share. Anyway, what I’m getting at is that however complicated my in-laws were, I realized I couldn’t change their behavior. I accepted them for who they are and it made the realationship better.