I Believe in Having a Voice

Rachel - Zeeland, Michigan

I Believe In Having a Voice

I believe that everyone should have a voice and not be afraid of what will happen if they say what they feel or think. Everyone believes in something; whether it is that racism is good or bad or that global warming isn’t our fault, or that Americans aren’t lazy. Whatever you believe, you should have the right to voice what you have to say.

I have this friend who some people would call two faced or a liar, but her real problem isn’t saying how she feels or what she thinks; its being afraid of what people will say if she does tell the truth. So, she tells people what she thinks they want to hear, not what she personally thinks. People think she is two-faced because she will say one thing to a person and another to someone else to make them both happy. I remember this one time a song came on to the radio and I said I didn’t like the song and she agreed. My other friend said she did. Again she agreed, right in front of me.

Her behavior would make me so mad; I would do the most outrageous things to get her to stand up for her self. I would push her into the snow banks or mud puddles or random things, not enough to cause her physical pain but enough for a normal person to say, “Stop”. She never did; she just took it all in and the most she ever did was walk away for a few minutes and then come back. She never told anyone to stop or told us how we made her feel, even though we all knew how bad she felt.

Don’t worry, this isn’t one of those stories that people tell when the girl ends up killing herself. As far as I know she is doing fine and we are still friends. But, I can’t help but wonder what she would be like if she stood up for herself or said, “no”, just once. Would she be the same girl I know or would she be a strong and independent woman? I believe that we should all have the voice to say what we think and feel and not be afraid of what people will think.