When hard work is valued most

Taylor - New York
Themes: work

There is no substitute for hard work. One who works hard enough will be successful in the real world. In school I am placed depending on my grades. When I am out of school looking for a job I doubt any future boss of mine will judge me on what my test grades were. They will be more focused on how hard I am willing to work. I believe I am in charge of my future. Depending on how hard I work and how much I apply myself I can accomplish whatever I want to accomplish. It can easily be said that hard work pays off in the long run. Being a good test taker and getting good grades without trying is great, but when you grow up and are in the real world, meaning you have a job and are living on your own, you have to work hard for success. My school life is completely different from what the world is going to bring me when I grow up. It’s based on two different skills. School is mostly based on test grades, and the real world is based on work effort. It’s going to be a big wakeup call for those who think it will be as easy as acing a big math test.

I believe school is a great place to organize and learn the basic knowledge that will help you in life. Though it does not show you what life will really be like. In school your intelligence is based on your grades. Out there, in the real world, for the most part you won’t be looked at by your last test score. It focuses on how much effort you use; how much you actually care and how much time and effort you put towards your work.

Being a hard working high school student I still receive low marks on tests. This makes my overall class grade go from high 90s to low 80s. Tests have a large amount of power and control on overall grades. When report cards are sent out they say the class and the grade. There is not a section that says the average of your tests, homework, or participation. When my parents look at my grades they ask me why my grade is what it is. I tell them it’s the testing, but for all they know they can think I don’t do my work and sit in the back, not contributing to the class discussions. It’s not right that all of my hard work and effort isn’t recognized. It is just covered up with a low mark caused by test taking.

There are various types of students; some achieving high grades and deserve it. Others maintain high grades because they’re good test takers. Then there are other students who are slackers and receive low marks, and they deserve it. Then, there is my type of student. I work extremely hard and still seem to get low marks. I put so much effort in than many other students do, and still do not receive the grades I should be getting. Some material is harder than other and sometimes maybe I just don’t adapt to the material fast enough to understand it completely for the test, but still I put in as much effort as I can.

To me, nothing is achieved without effort. It’s just like being a child and learning how to tie your shoes, or ride a bicycle. No one just got on the bike and started peddling and didn’t tip over. You need to work hard at it and keep trying, never giving up. After all the hard effort put into learning, you will be able to get on the bike and peddle away like it was the easiest thing you’ve ever done. But we have to start somewhere and most likely it’s not going to start off with full success and that is why we have to build up to our success.

I believe school should start becoming like the real world and start looking beyond the students test marks and grades. This can be accomplished by having group discussions or end of the unit projects, showing how much the students understand the unit just as well as testing the students does. These ways will also let teachers know that the students show intrinsic motivation, meaning that inside themselves they have a motivation making them want to learn the material. These other ways of showing what the student have learned will give those who struggle with test taking an opportunity to show their knowledge, giving themselves the success they deserve.

Success comes from self motivation. To make it in the real world you need to be motivated to accomplish you goals.