Believing Isn’t Always Seeing

Brittania - Soldotna, Alaska

What do Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny all have in common? Yes, they are imaginary and no one has ever seen them, but one fact stands above the rest: millions worldwide still believe in the existence of all of them. Of course over time those children will lose their innocence and the three will fall into only a myth. Some say this action is due to those who are around them, while others say the reason why they stop believing is because they have no physical evidence to prove their theories. In contrast to what I have just said, there is one thing that I believe:

Believing doesn’t always mean seeing.

To go further into detail, I believe that my mother’s love, though I may not see it all the time, is always with me. I can remember the eighth grade talent show and how I was scared stiff all the way up to my group’s turn. I was so afraid to disappoint the audience and especially my mom that I didn’t know what on earth I was supposed to do. Unfortunately, the time came and all eleven of us stepped onto the gym floor. As I stood there waiting for the Grease soundtrack to come on, I realized that no matter what the outcome was, my mother’s love would always be with me. Amazingly enough, the song played, we danced, and I had a wonderful time performing. At the end I could feel her standing by my side even though I could not see her amongst the massive blur of people.

I know now, that as long as I believe that her love is with me, I can virtually do anything.

At times, there may not be any proof or acknowledgement of a certain belief, but it is there all the same. Of course, there are many times in which “just believing” doesn’t mean a thing, and I agree with that. In the end, sometimes all one has to do is to believe.