Ashley - USA

This I believe…

This I believe you have to be yourself. Don’t try to be something you’re not just to satisfy someone else. As long as you do your best it doesn’t matter what others think.

This is what my mom told me one morning as I was walking out the door on my way to school. My mom is a strong person and can get through a lot. She has been through a lot already in her life from being a kid in high school with a baby on the way. At the age of sixteen, my mother gave birth to me. It was hard for her because my mom lost her mother when she was 8 years old. When I think about how it must have been for her I can’t compare my life to hers because I know that if my mom died when I was only 8, I would not be able to go on very well without my mother in my life.

Just a year ago she found out she had diabetes when she got real sick and had to go the hospital. When she got out she did not think about herself, she was worried that in the future me or one of my two younger sisters will get diabetes. Now she has us eating better and wants us to exercise more. My mom always puts me and my sisters first no matter what. She never cares about what people say or think about her, she just goes on with life and says who cares they don’t know me or the truth.

Later that day when I went to school I thought about what my mother told me that morning. She has been through a lot and I know I can trust her so now, when I feel like crap because of what some immature kid tells me in class I just let it go. There is no reason for me to waste my time with someone who is going to bring me down, beside it’s not like whatever anyone says about you is true. Most of the time people just say mean things to you to get a laugh out of everyone else. So I just look past it all and go on because only I know the truth about me. You should always be yourself and not care about what others think about you.