I Believe In My Self

Kiarra - Norwalk, Connecticut
Themes: hope

I believe in myself. I believe in myself because a lot of people are always trying to bring me down, but it’s not going to happen. For example, my friends in school are always saying that I’m not going to graduate in the class of 2008. So since everybody thinks that’s not going happen, I have to prove them wrong. All I can hear in my head all day, everyday is “you’re not going to graduate, I’ll put money on it, or ‘you never come to school nigga.’’ People started saying that because when I first started school this year I was not doing what I was supposed to do. I had started this year off wrong. But I realize that I have to prove them wrong so they will say “I’m proud of you Kiki. We thought that you weren’t going to make it.” Since people want to think negative things about me now, all I can do is believe in myself. I have to start thinking positively and make the right choices. I have to take my head out of my ass and put it on my shoulders. Another example is on my mother’s side of the family. I think nobody has ever believed in themselves. They dropped out of school or they got pregnant at an early age and couldn’t take care of the kids and go to school at the same time. My mom had five kids by five different men and since she had us at an early age, she couldn’t take care of all of us because it was one apartment in Meadow Gardens with like twenty people living in a three bed room apartment. So she gave me up to my father’s people. So I learn to believe in myself from my family mistakes since they never did believe in themselves.