I believe in Forgiveness

James - Lindon, Utah
Themes: forgiveness

As I try to always say, “The second greatest action in the world is to say, ‘I’m sorry.’ The first is to forgive the person.” I believe that the only way to live a peaceful life is to have the strength to forgive someone of their faults and mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone messes up. The key is to let that go. Forgiveness is the only way. It is not possible to just forget about something that you are holding a grudge about. But the moment that you forgive some one, you are immediately set free. This idea is re-enforced in a quote from Catherine Ponder, “When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.”

What is life without friends? And who can be a good friend without forgiveness?

Whether it is two kids arguing about a toy or it is two adults with a disagreement, it can only be resolved by forgiveness. You hear stories where someone is killed by another person who was their friend but started holding a grudge against them. These could have been resolved in the first place by forgiveness and the only ones that end happy or resolved are the ones where the family forgives the person.

I used to be a person who didn’t strongly believe in forgiveness and held grudges, but I have learned through experience that as Catherine Ponder said, it is a link that only can be ended through forgiveness. It has been recently been found that a person who does not forgive is holding such an emotional stress that they are literally weighed down, both mentally and physical.

One instance in my life changed how strong I believe in forgiveness. This was when I found out that my cousin was on Methamphetamine. When I first found out, I felt anger and hostility, but after a while, I realized that it wasn’t helping, and I decided to let it go. Since then she has supposedly started to clean herself up and stop doing drugs. I feel that the thing that was bad was the choice, not the person, and I have tried to live accordingly. Through my different experiences, I have resolved to forgive everyone and in return, I have felt closer to people than when there were arguments between us. I just hope that we can all forgive each other and leave the hostile ties behind.