No One Should go Away Hungry, This I Believe

Christine - Mannford, Oklahoma

This last Easter holiday my parents had come into some extra money so they had Easter catered from Knotty Pine Barbeque House. We have about twenty-seven immediate members in our family. That Sunday, My parents served around fifty people. Friends, family and other guests arrived in time to enjoy the feast. My sister, Patricia brought two families that did not have a place to for Easter. The biggest worry that Peggie, my mother, had was if everyone was going to get enough to eat. There were beef ribs, smoked sausage, bologna, smoked brisket, coleslaw, potato salad, and ample amounts of desserts. There was plenty of chow for everyone. No one went away hungry.

As far back as I can remember my mom always fed everyone that would come to her doorstep. It didn’t matter if they were family or friends. If someone extra was over during dinner she would sit another plate out. I have always tried to follow that principle. I have never gone hungry in my life and I believe no one should have to. There have been days when our plates did not have what we may want; however, our plates always had food covering them. Not a soul should go away hungry is something I tell my children. There are days we feed our family of five, other times we feed the whole neighborhood. The children and the adults know if they are hungry where to go. I have always tried to make sure that all my nieces and nephews got the nourishment they need. The children in our neighborhood always know there will be a dinner cooked every night at our house and if the want to eat when to show up. I believe it is not the children’s fault if the parents are not responsible enough to make sure that child eats. I want them to always know there is a plate sat out for them at every meal. No one should go away hungry, this I believe.

I believe if all Americans could offer one person or one child something to eat. There would be no individuals dying of starvation in the United States. It does not take a large amount to fed one extra person. Most families throw away enough food to feed a two or three extra people at every meal. This is a waste, since there are several adults and children still hungry in United States. There are detention centers, nursing homes and schools that throw away enough food to feed three or four families a day. This food should be given to the ones that need the groceries. I believe if there were more adults out there that believe the same there would not be any children going hungry in the United States. If we could just get our homeland hunger to disappear, then maybe we could figure out how to help the other countries as well. No one should go away hungry, this I believe.