Splashing in Puddles

Kaitlin - Pleasant Grove, Utah

We all have times in our lives where we are faced with problems. Like large puddles in front of us, we have to choose to go around them, or go right through them. We can either avoid our problems, or just splash right through and enjoy what life gives us. I believe in splashing in puddles.

Of course, I’m not referring to going and getting involved in every problem you come across, that would be insanity, like jumping in a pool of turpentine instead of a mere puddle. I’m talking about plowing right through the problems you absolutely can’t avoid.

Some rules about this belief are that you can’t just jump in and then jump out. And you can’t slowly wade through it: if you do you’ll just end up wet, having done nothing. You have to get in and splash around, have a positive attitude when solving problems, or else you’ll just feel cold and miserable.

After you’re done fixing the problem—or in our analogy, getting out of the puddle—just keep on walking. Life will get good again, just like how you’ll dry after getting out of a puddle you splashed around in.

Some examples of people who were expert “puddle-splashers” are Christopher Reeve and Wendy Warr. Christopher played Superman and several other roles in various movies. He was riding his horse one day and ended up falling off. He became paralyzed from the neck down, and was confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. He ended up inspiring many people with his endurance and his strong will to deal with his health problems. He made his life and many other people’s lives with injuries similar to his better.

Wendy is one of my mom’s best friends. She and her family moved to the Philippines for a few years around a decade ago. After a few years they moved back to the U.S., and everything was fine until Wendy started getting really sick. She was finally diagnosed with a rare disease that comes from eating bad pork. She had a doctor in California that she would have to go get treatment from. She kept on going, even though it was extremely painful and hard. Not only did she just keep on living, she continued to raise 5 kids and be a good wife. At one point, she actually died. But somehow she pulled through, and ended up being completely healed. One reason would definitely have to be her attitude, and her ability to “splash” through her problems.

In my own life, I’ve had to splash through fights with friends, and minor problems I’ve had. Splashing through fights instead of avoiding fixing a problem has lead to increased trust and a stronger relationship with one of my best friends today. If I had avoided it, she probably would have ended up hating me.

As we all can see, problems come for everyone. And they aren’t ever easy. That’s why I believe in splashing in puddles.