Finding identity

Tenzin - Chicago, Illinois

Tenzin W

This I believe

Life is a cycle for all creatures but Man craves domination and glory, wealth and fast cars. Or at least that’s what I thought. Ambition is a trait that I believed existed within everyone, the trait that drove them, the belief that some greater success is withheld in the future once the rough patches on the way were straightened out. But most superficial ambitions hold no happiness in the future. People have opportunities in their lives, and a responsibility, to use the tool of ambition as motivation to change the world.

To do something world changing: that was my goal at the age of nine when I believed that I could somehow free my home country of Tibet from China’s domineering chains by way of submarines and peace treaties. The submarines were so I could sneak up on them with the peace treaty before getting arrested for being Tibetan. Since then, the world has evolved around me, or I have evolved within the world, and life just doesn’t seem quite as simple. Peace is getting phased out by gats, AK-47’s, nukes, and missiles, but maybe this has always been the case.

Saving Tibet through peace has become an idea worn down to just trying to save our culture, because the latter is something that even the Dalai Lama has given up on. Even so, the Dalai Lama found his calling and has acted on it in full. He is an individual that struggles for his people’s freedom and is making the world more peaceful day by day. He is a stream of inspiration that has touched the world, myself included.

No, freeing Tibet was a futile mission, there had to be something else. America has a profound ability to tell you that you can accomplish whatever you want in life, but dictate what it is that you want. At the age of 13, the media smacked me in the face with people that told me what to be in order to fit in. Like a cloud, it filled my mind and drove me to get a job and work for articles of clothing with brand names, status symbols that lied. My childhood dreams of being an individual and changing the world were replaced by something even more ambitious, the urge to fit into a way of life, the urge to conform. My dreams now contradict my morals and my mind finds ways to create rickety brides to try to wed the two. Hopefully, with age, I will find my opportunity and my responsibility to change the world. Life is a struggle to find purpose, to find your identity, to realize what makes you different and essential. This I Believe.