Don’t Stress About the Little Things in Life

Amanda - Pikeville, Kentucky

I believe that you shouldn’t stress about the little things in life. So many times throughout my day I hear people complaining about little things. They’re too fat or too skinny, their hair is too straight or too curly. I used to be one of those people, I took all of the good things in my life for granted and whined about small things that really weren’t important. I would let a bad hair day or spilling a hot cup of coffee in my lap right before walking into high school ruin my entire day.

In January 2006 my best friend since age four was involved in a horrific car accident on her way home from college. I received a call shortly after saying that I needed to come to the hospital and say my goodbyes because she probably wouldn’t pull through. By the time I arrived at the hospital she had already died and been brought back two times. She was in a coma for three months but thanks to many skilled physicians and prayers from friends and family she was able to go home in April.

I don’t think that anyone could have been able to predict the struggles that she would face in the months to come. She had mild brain damage, a shattered face, no teeth, gums, or lips. She had to relearn many basic skills such as tying her shoes and walking up stairs. She also had to have several reconstructive surgeries and battled multiple infections. I never once heard her complain. I wondered to myself how that someone could be going through such terrible things and still be so positive and up beat. We all think of these things as being worth complaining about but she was so happy to be alive that she didn’t let her struggles break her spirits.

My life really changed when she came to me one day so excited as she showed me that she could write her name again, it was such a simple task, something that most of us do everyday yet it was such a victory for her. This put everything in perspective for me. It made a bad hair day seem so insignificant. Life is short and it is a gift that we should be thankful for even when things aren’t perfect. When you feel down about something you should put it into perspective and most of the time you will see that it really isn’t so bad. My friend is almost fully recovered now, she recently got married and is expecting a baby boy in July. Focus on what is good in your life, don’t take anything for granted and don’t stress over little things.